I recently watched a BBC Wildlife Documentary which has prompted me to do a post on giraffes. Did you know that giraffe populations have declined by over 40 % in the last few decades. This is worrying news for these iconic mammals.
- Giraffes are the world’s tallest mammal
- Recent research suggests that there are actually four distinct giraffe species
- Giraffes have seven vertebrae in their necks, exactly the same number as humans
- Giraffes tongues are 45-50cm long
- Giraffes can run at 60 km/hr
- They will use their long legs to kick if threaten by predators
- Individual giraffes can be told apart by the patterns of their markings, which are all different
For some fun crafts and guides for helping you draw giraffes check out this link
The story of long-legged Gerald the giraffe, who’s legs just don’t do what he wants them to do when it comes to dancing, until that is, he finds his own special music. Heart warming story perfect for younger reader.